I realize I’ve never done a ‘me’ post.For someone so self-absorbed,that’s shocking.My newest resolution is writing a lot more from now on so I guess we can start with me.finally.
So,let’s be vain.
My official names are Peninah Wairimu Njoki.Mum named me Peninah after a friend of hers ,whom she says was the kindest person she ever met.I sincerely don’t like that name.Actually,the short form for Wairimu,Nimmo,was my favorite name for the longest time ever.
Most people who know me from way back call me Precious.That’s the confirmation name I bestowed upon myself.Peninah means precious stone/jewel hence the name Precious.
By the way,this is undoubtedly the easiest post I’ll write because I am totally talking about myself.
My favorite name now is Wairimu.There’s some maturity to it that I like and warmed up to after I got the little one.
I am a mother of one,a daughter named Kara Beatrix Njoki.I should have totally called her Wanjiru but well..
Amazingly,people are more bothered by the fact that I called her Kara.In Kikuyu, this is the name for the little finger.I didn’t actually choose the name Kara, a friend did, but I retained it for 2 reasons
One; it will be an infinite reminder of the people who were there for us most during those nine months and even after.It worked perfectly coz it was suggested by them and also happened to be a nickname of another suggestion.
Two,it means pure/dear.I mean.
Beatrix,on the other hand was the name I was most sure of.It means ‘she who makes happy’. It totally fit my sentiments then and now.
The reason I started this blog was to share the experiences of being a mother especially at a young age ,when my life is still not well-defined and also an outlet for my thoughts.I still lack courage to post my most heartfelt and ‘in the emotions’ posts so my draft list is longer than my published list.Some day I’ll be braver.
Anyway,let me do a basic questionnaire so as not to make this post way too long.
I stole the questions,obviously.
1. What is your middle name?: Wairimu.
2. What was your favorite subject at school?: Maths.Definitely maths.
3. What is your favorite drink?: I’m not sure I have one but the orange juice at For You Restaurant has my interests at heart.
4. What is your favorite song at the moment?: Rockabye by Clean Bandit,Sean Paul and Ann-Marie.
5. What is your favorite food?: Anything that goes with fish.
6. What is the last thing you bought?: I did some thrift-shopping for Kara’s clothes last weekend.That’s what i remember.
7. Favorite book of all time?: I have a couple of favorite books.Absolution by Olaf Olafsson,Paris Metro Tales by Helen Constantine,Basic Instinct by Richard Osborne, My sister’s keeper by Jodi Picoult and While my Sister sleeps by Barbara Delinsky.I like tragic books by the way.
8. Favorite Color?: I’ve got two actually:Purple and orange.
9. Favorite Youtubers?: Tim Milgram,Cover Nation,Alex G,Pentatonix,Kurt Hugo Schneider,Alex Goot,Tiffany Alvord.Sam Tsui,Chrissy Costanza.Okay.this list will be too long.I love way too many youtubers.
10. Summer or Winter?: We don’t do these seasons here but if we did-Summer obviously,I’m an August baby,gotta stay true to my roots.
11. What would you name your children?: For boys,I’ve got Liam(I’ve loved this name forever) and Sebastian.If I got another girl,probably Elena/Lena.
12. Are you married?: Nope and not sure it’s something I ever want to do.
13. Have you ever been out of the country, if so how many times?: No 😦
14. Do you speak any other language?: I’m currently self teaching some french.They say I’m 3% fluent.That counts,yes?
15. How many siblings do you have?: One.A very hilarious little brother.Most people think he’s my elder brother though because he’s bigger than me.
16. What is your favorite shop?: none
17. When was the last time you cried?: Like two months ago I guess when I lost a great job.
18. Favorite Blog?: Mark Manson’s blog.
19. Favorite Movie?: A walk to remember.
20. Favorite TV shows?: Hawaii five-o,Bones,Sherlock,Greys Anatomy,Modern Family,Reign,The Big Bang Theory,The Blacklist.
21. PC or Mac?: I can’t afford either so meh!
22. What phone do you have?: Xperia V
23. How tall are you?: 5’1 I guess
24. Can you cook?: Lets stick to NO.
25. What is your love language? Words of affirmation and acts of service.I can have two right?
26 .What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced? Labour.Damn!
27. What is your dream job and why? To be an Analyst or Grant manager at an NGO.I am an INFP personality type so that’s the only environment that has ever felt right for me.I care too much,empathize too much and I have always felt I’d be a natural at it. I am passionate about children especially.
28.What is the thing you most wish you were great at? Singing.
29.If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why? Either Hawaii or Poland.Hawaii because I think it’s very beautiful and Poland because it’s safe and has a great education system.I’d like to bring up my daughter in a safe country with a great education system
30.What is your parting quote? My current favorite has to be “Never make a decision until you have to.” by Randy Pausch
Well that was fun.Happy week ahead.